Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Between the Sea and Sky

Between the Sea and Sky By: Jaclyn Dolamore
Rating: Incredibly AWESOME
Age Group: 12+
Summary (from Amazon.com): For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.
My Thoughts:  Oh my goodness, this book was so adorable!  I can’t say there was anything about this book that I DIDN’T like.  I love Esmerine, and I liked her interactions with her sisters and her parents.  Her love of books was, of course, endearing and I thought it certainly helped define her character and differentiated her from the other mermaids.  I also liked the description of humans and how they react to mermaids and the Fandarsee.  This is to say humans reacted believably distrustful and entitled in that many of the descriptions of human men were that they simply stole mermaids because they DESERVED pretty magic wives, which is an account that matches mermaid mythology.  Above all else, I adored Esmerine and Alan’s relationship.  It developed believably and it was just so sweet!  And Dosinia’s story!  I was very pleased with how that turned out, and I thought Esmerine’s reactions to her sisters life were, again, believable.  This book has the simplistic writing style that I love and was very descriptive in all the right ways.  I would highly recommend this book! 
Book Recommendations:  The Truth-Teller’s Tale and The Dream-Maker’s magic By: Sharon Shinn

No comments:

Post a Comment