Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children By: Ransom Riggs
Rating: Incredibly AWESOME
Age Group: 14+
Summary (from BarnesandNoble.com):
 A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
My Thoughts:  I really loved this book!  I don’t usually read horror books, much less like them, but this book was just so interesting and unique that I couldn’t put it down!  First I want to say that while this book DID have some very scary parts, the book as a whole wasn’t as dark as I was expecting.  From reading other reviews I thought it would be utterly terrifying, but it wasn’t.  There were many sweet and funny parts that kept the book from being such.  I really liked how the characters were developed and how the Home was introduced, and I loved Miss Peregrine and the children.  Finding out about their pasts and the reason why they hid was my favorite part, along with the children’s peculiarities themselves.  And the pictures!  These added so much to the story, and made the story seem so much more real and believable.  I tend to imagine things as cuter or safer than they are described simply because that’s the direction my mind likes to go, but thanks to the pictures the true nature of the book came through.  I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes supernatural books as well as those that like horror.
Book Recommendations: Bones of Faerie By: Janni Lee Simner

No comments:

Post a Comment