Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Witch Eyes

Witch Eyes By: Scott Tracey
Rating: Meh
Age Group: 13+
Summary (from Amazon.com):  A boy who can see the world's secrets and unravel spells with just a glance.
Braden's witch eyes give him an enormous power. A mere look causes a kaleidoscopic explosion of emotions, memories, darkness, and magic. But this rare gift is also his biggest curse.
Compelled to learn about his shadowed past and the family he never knew, Braden is drawn to the city of Belle Dam, where he is soon caught between two feuding witch dynasties. Sworn rivals Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe will use anything--lies, manipulation, illusion, and even murder--to seize control of Braden's powers. To stop an ancient evil from destroying the town, Braden must master his gift, even through the shocking discovery that Jason is his father. While his feelings for an enigmatic boy named Trey grow deeper, Braden realizes a terrible truth: Trey is Catherine Lansing's son . . . and Braden may be destined to kill him.
My Thoughts:  I’m afraid this isn’t my favorite book.  It isn’t necessarily a BAD book; however there were quite a few things that I didn’t particularly like about it.  The writing is pretty vague in generally, so there were a few scenes that I had to read several times because I didn’t understand how or why something happened.  Also, there were some scenes that were given one sentence descriptions that could really have used more.  Now, I DID like Braden.  He was funny and in many ways he was smart.  I also liked how his powers were described, and the most detailed scenes were the ones where he was using his magic.  Those parts of the book I really enjoyed.  Also, I adored Jade!  She was a cool cat.  I did like his relationship with Trey, though I didn’t find it particularly believable.  But I could look past that, because they were really very sweet.  However, the scenes with the two of them together tended to be the vaguest, which was kind of annoying.  The main character and his boyfriend shouldn’t have to interact in scenes-that-deserve-paragraphs-but-get-only-a-sentence sort of scenes, you know?  And I don’t mean just the romantic bits, the bits where they are just talking are still among the vague scenes that deserved more.  I liked the idea of the overall plot, but it didn’t actually pull me in very much.  I’m afraid I wouldn’t really recommend this book though I’m not going to say you shouldn’t read it either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment