Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fairy Bad Day

Fairy Bad Day By: Amanda Ashby
Rating: Good
Age Group: 12+
Summary (from Amazon.com): While most students at Burtonwood Academy get to kill demons and goblins, fifteen-year-old Emma gets to rid the world of little annoying fairies with glittery wings and a hipster fashion sense. She was destined to be a dragon slayer, but cute and charming Curtis stole her spot. Then she sees a giant killer fairy - and it's invisible to everyone but her! If Emma has any chance of stopping this evil fairy, she's going to need help. Unfortunately, the only person who can help is Curtis. And now, not only has he stolen her dragon-slayer spot, but maybe her heart as well! Why does she think it's going to be a fairy bad day?
My Thoughts:  I thought this was a pretty mediocre read, unfortunately.  I think I’ll start with the things I did like about this book.  For one, the plot was very interesting, and there was a cool twist near the end that I loved.  There were a few plot holes that bothered me, which I can’t REALLY talk about without ruining the book, but there it is.  A lot of things happened that were a little to convenient for my liking, and the convenience wasn’t really explained.  Still the plot did keep me interested and I loved how the story resolved itself.  I liked Emma’s best friends Loni and Tyler very much.  They were such interesting characters!  Loni’s love of horoscopes was just so fun.  I also liked Curtis a lot, he was just such a sweet person and he had an interesting back story.  And I loved the fairies!  They were such goofs!  But I think the thing that bugged me the most about the book was the fact that I didn’t really like Emma, mostly because her character didn’t seem very developed to me.  She was spunky, which I generally like, but that was pretty much all there was to her personality that I could see.  Honestly, I felt like I knew the others listed above better than her, and I was in her head reading the book!  I don’t know, I just didn’t connect with her.  Also, I was a little bothered by the way the author used italics.  When I was reading it was like the characters were emphasising entire sentences, or that they were making sure that we the readers knew what was important.  That nitpicky, but it bothered me.  All in all, this book is still worth the read though it isn’t the first book I’d recommend.
Book Recommendations: This will now only happen if I actually think of a book that reminds me of the book reviewed.  That said, I’d recommend  Hex Hall By: Rachel Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment