Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Unfair Godmother

My Unfair Godmother  By: Janette Rallison
Sequel to My Fair Godmother
Rating: Great
Age Group: 12+
Summary (from Amazon.com): Tansy Miller has always felt that her divorced father has never had enough time for her. But mistakenly getting caught on the wrong side of the law wasn't exactly how she wanted to get his attention. Enter Chrysanthemum "Chrissy" Everstar, Tansy's fairy in shining, er, high heels. Chrissy is only a fair godmother, of course, so Tansy's three wishes don't exactly go according to plan. And if bringing Robin Hood to the twenty-first century isn't bad enough for Tansy, being transported back to the Middle Ages to deal with Rumpelstiltskin certainly is. She'll need the help of her blended family, her wits, and especially the cute police chief 's son to stop the gold-spinning story from spinning wildly out of control.
My Thoughts:  This is one of my more favorite series, probably because I love fairytale retellings and fairies so much.  For this series you don’t NECESSARILY have to read the first book to understand Tansy’s story, however it would be helpful if you want to know Chrissy’s story and the books inside jokes.  Which brings me to one of my favorite things about this book:  it is SO funny!  Tansy doesn’t have the greatest life at the moment, and things just seem to keep going downhill.  So the book deals with lots of tough and very real problems, but it still manages to crack jokes.  Also, I thought Tansy’s relationship with Hudson was very cute and I loved their banter.  Like the last book, I love how the story was resolved.  Contrary to what the characters may say, Chrissy DID help Tansy live happily ever after.  All of the characters were full and realistic.   I even liked Chrissy, though I wouldn’t want her as my fairy godmother.  She’s just such a fun character, and even though I read someone say that Chrissy hadn’t grown as a character I don’t agree.  She is still herself, but she did learn from her last assignment and I think that in the next book she’ll do very well.  And really, like I said, both of the girls lived happily ever after because of what they learned from their ordeals.  Tansy learns a lot about her family and herself, things she might have missed if not for Chrissy eccentric wish granting methods.   Anyhoo, this was a good light hearted read that had a good plot and was very funny.  I highly recommend it!
Recommended Reading: Beastly By: Alex Flinn, The Wide Awake Princess By: E. D. Baker, Half Upon a Time By: James Riley, Ella Enchanted By: Gail Carson Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment